Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Allplaynews.com
    • News
    • Sport
    • Animal
    • Babies
    • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Car
    • Golf
    • Military
    Allplaynews.com
    Sport

    Tiger Woods’ awkward moment at The Open after crowd shouted three-word message

    tl-team19/07/2025
    Facebook Twitter Copy Link

    While Tiger Woods won’t be in action at The Open this week, the golf icon has quite the reputation at the last major of the season.

    Tiger Woods has been plagued by injuries in recent years (Image: Getty)

    Tiger Woods was told by fans to prove Colin Montgomerie wrong at the The Open Championship after the Scottish golfer suggested it was time for the American icon to hang up his clubs. The 15-time major champion may be regarded by many as the greatest player to grace the sport of golf, but he’s suffered his share of troubles in recent years, with injuries hampering his activity.

    The 49-year-old is absent from The Open this week as he continues rehabbing from the Achilles rupture he suffered in March. The last PGA Tour event Woods competed in was in the fact The Open in 2024 when it was hosted at the Royal Troon Golf Club in Scotland.

    Woods had only played in four tournaments before appearing at the major last year due to his fitness struggles but that didn’t stop the crowd from offering outward support. As he took to the course for his first round, chants of “prove Monty wrong” from fans could be heard as Woods stepped up for his first tee.

    The pro-Tiger crowd were referencing Montgomerie’s take on the golfer’s future prior to The Open Championship, where the 62-year-old suggested that his time in the sport should come to an end. Speaking to The Times, Montgomerie said: “I hope people remember Tiger as Tiger was, the passion and the charismatic aura around him. There is none of that now.

    “At Pinehurst, he did not seem to enjoy a single shot and you think, ‘What the hell is he doing?'”

    Woods had previously stated that he’d call time on his career once he wasn’t competitive for titles, as Montgomerie added: “Aren’t we there? I’d have thought we were past there.

    The 15-time major champion endured a tough time of it at The Open last year (Image: Getty)

    “There is a time for all sportsmen to say goodbye but it’s very difficult to tell Tiger it’s time to go. Obviously, he still feels he can win. We are more realistic.”

    Woods did prepare a response to Montgomerie’s comments when speaking to the media at his pre-Championship press conference where he made sure to remind the Scotsman of his accomplishments.

    The icon said: “Well, as a past champion, I’m exempt until I’m 60. Colin is not. He is not a past champion, so he’s not exempt. So he doesn’t get the opportunity to make that decision. I do. So when I get to his age, I get to still make that decision, where he doesn’t.”

    However, it wasn’t a successful return to The Open for Woods who missed the cut after rounds of 79 and 77. It was the third consecutive missed cut at a major for Woods that season and remains the last time fans were able to witness the golf great compete in a PGA Tour-sanctioned event.

    Keep Reading

    Tiger Woods Makes Golf Fan $284K Richer on TOUR Championship Sunday Despite Career Break

    HOT NEWS: Tiger Woods’ Mansion on Jupiter Island: A Closer Look at the Golf Legend’s Secluded Retreat

    Tommy Fleetwood no longer has to worry about his unwanted £18.5million prize money record

    PORTLAND CLASSIC SHOCK! Nelly Korda declared: “I will come back and destroy all opponents!”

    The PGA Tour has officially broken its silence! The organization has decided to sanction Robert MacIntyre following controversial allegations of cheating and defamation of Scottie Scheffler at the 2025 BMW Championship. This is considered a tough move, sending a clear message that the PGA Tour will not tolerate any behavior that affects the reputation and transparency of the tournament.

    PGA CHAOS Erupts! USGA President Mike Whan has finally spoken out, standing by Scottie Scheffler amid the furor at the BMW Championship 2025. In a stunning decision, Whan stressed that “insults and abusive behavior have no place in elite golf,” and fined Robert MacIntyre a hefty sum for publicly humiliating Scheffler — sending shockwaves through the global golfing world.

    Sport

    Tiger Woods Makes Golf Fan $284K Richer on TOUR Championship Sunday Despite Career Break

    27/08/2025By tl-team
    Sport

    HOT NEWS: Tiger Woods’ Mansion on Jupiter Island: A Closer Look at the Golf Legend’s Secluded Retreat

    27/08/2025By tl-team
    Sport

    Tommy Fleetwood no longer has to worry about his unwanted £18.5million prize money record

    27/08/2025By tl-team
    Sport

    PORTLAND CLASSIC SHOCK! Nelly Korda declared: “I will come back and destroy all opponents!”

    26/08/2025By tl-team
    • Home
    • About
    • Privacy Policy
    © 2025

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.